WeID Services & ID Cards

Contact WeID: [email protected] or 415-476-2088




About WeID

WeID provides the following services to the campus community:
  • UCSF ID cards for students, employees, volunteers, contractors, vendors, affiliated, and visitors;
  • Fingerprinting (employee background checks, licensing, and NRC irradiator);
  • Notary (basic notary services for UCSF students, employees and UCSF affiliates.) Basic notary service does not include home loan documents or other personal type services. This is for UCSF business.

The process to obtain a UCSF ID card begins with your Human Resource provider. They have the responsibility to enter your essential information, including any credentials, into the system. Student information is entered by their school or Registrar’s Office. Contractor, Vendor and Volunteer information is entered by the sponsoring department’s Human Resource. A UCSF ID card can be issued only after your pertinent information has been entered by Human Resources, the individual school or Registrar. Medical Center IDs are issued by Medical Center Security.

Appointments can be made for ID or fingerprinting/LiveScan using the online appointment system. Notary appointments can be obtained by calling 476-2088, option 1.

UCSF Police officer and fitness center staff

UCSF Policy on ID Cards

UCSF fully supports the provisions of the UC Gender Recognition and Lived Name Policy and allows for lived names on UCSF ID badges. Due to credentialing/licensing requirements, employees with a clinical license will have their legal name printed on the back (non-public) side of the badge. (This is UCSF’s current practice.) This webpage will be updated with specific processes, as reference, that support lived names on ID badges.

To Get an ID Card

  1. First, get approval from your department representative.
  2. Your representative must enter your information into the campus computer system.
  3. Name in Hitachi (for employees, contractors, visitors, and vendors) or SIS (for students) MUST match your government issued photo ID. (Driver's license or passport).
  4. You can check your name, work title, and department at https://directory.ucsf.edu/. Contact your HR (employees and affiliates) or your school/Registrar's Office (students) for corrections.
  5. Make an appointment.

Medical Center personnel must contact Medical Center Human Resources or Medical Center Security for ID Cards.

What to bring to your ID card appointment

  • At least one valid government photo identification: (Name on this document must match your profile).
  • Your home-department determines what Credentials display on your ID Card
  • Home-department enters up to three Credentials in the Hitachi or SIS screen
  • Badging staff verifies Credentials in Hitachi screen at card issuance
  • Effective 7/01/2021 employees and students get their first UCSF ID card courtesy of UCSF. 

Make an Appointment

Make an appointment.  If you encounter technical difficulties with the online appointment system, please contact the We ID Team directly at 415/476-2088.  If the call goes to voicemail, please leave a detailed message with your name and contact telephone number.  A member of the We ID Team will contact you by the end of the same business day to schedule your ID card appointment.

"Drop-in service" for UCSF ID Cards is recommended at the Parnassus campus location - (500 Parnassus Ave, Millberry Union Building, Level P-7). Customers may still schedule appointments by filling out the online form or calling the customer service line at 415-476-2088.

Mission Bay can only accomodate one customer at a time.

Priority will be given to customers with appointments and drop-in service completed on first-come, first-served basis.

Where to Get an ID Card

Drop-in service for ID Cards only is available at both WeID offices during the hours listed. Priority will be given to customers with appointments and drop-in service will be completed on first-come, first-served basis.

ID Card & Fingerprint Services Locations​

NOTE: Medical Center personnel who need ID cards.

WeID service locations close occasionally for training and meetings and for all UCSF holidays. Notice of closures will be posted on the door and will not occur when there are scheduled appointments.

WeID Plackard


If a credential is required to appear on your UCSF ID card, the credential must be on your profile prior to issuance of the ID card. The credential will be added to the end of your last name.


  • John Doe, DDS
  • Jane Doe, MD

 Valid Forms of Identification

You MUST bring the actual document, not a photo or copy. Name on this document will be compared to your profile (Hitachi or SIS).

  • U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  • Driver's license or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  • ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  • School ID card with a photograph
  • Voter's registration card
  • U.S. Military card or draft record
  • Military dependent's ID card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority
  • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  • Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
  • Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
  • In the case of a non-immigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, a foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's non-immigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form
  • Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating non-immigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI