Get a UCSF ID Card

How to get an ID card 

Employees and students get their first UCSF ID card free, courtesy of UCSF. 

Getting a UCSF ID card begins with your assigned department representative, typically the person who handles Human Resources functions in your department. They have the responsibility to enter your information, including any required credentials, into the system.  

  • The student’s school or the Registrar’s Office enters student information.  
  • The sponsoring department’s Human Resources enters the contractor, vendor, or volunteer information. 
  • Your information must be entered in Bravura (AKA Hitachi) (for employees, contractors, visitors, and vendors) or SIS (for students). 
  • It must match your government-issued photo ID (e.g., driver's license or passport). 

A UCSF ID card can be issued only after your information has been entered by Human Resources, your individual school or the Registrar’s Office. 

UCSF fully supports the provisions of the UC Gender Recognition and Lived Name Policy and allows for lived names on UCSF ID badges. Due to credentialing/licensing requirements, employees with a clinical license will have their legal name printed on the back (non-public) side of the badge. (This is UCSF’s current practice.) This webpage will be updated with specific processes, as reference, that support lived names on ID badges. 

Medical Center personnel

  • You must contact Medical Center Human Resources or Medical Center Security for ID Cards. 
  • Note: WeID service locations close occasionally for training and meetings and for all UCSF holidays.  
    • Notice of closures will be posted on the door.  
    • Closures will not occur when there are scheduled appointments. 

Next step: Make an appointment. 

How to make an ID card appointment 

  • Make an appointment using the online appointment system or contact WeID by phone at (415) 476-2088.  
  • If you have technical problems with the online appointment system, contact the WeID Team directly at (415) 476-2088.  
  • If the call goes to voicemail, please leave a detailed message with your name and contact telephone number. 

Appointment notes

  • No same-day appointments  
  • If you need a same-day appointment for an ID card, your only option is to arrive as a drop-in customer  
  • Available appointments will be displayed on the online appointment system based on: 
  • The date and time you’ve requested 
  • The hours of operation at the requested location 
  • The duration of your appointment 

Where to get ID card services 

Both Parnassus Heights and Mission Bay provide WeID services.  

  • Priority given to customers with appointments  
  • Drop-in service for ID Cards only is available at both WeID offices during the hours listed. 

Parnassus Heights 

Millberry Union Building
500 Parnassus Ave., Level P-7, Rm. MU18 
Phone: (415) 476-2088 
Hours: Monday through Friday: 7:15 a.m. - 4 p.m.
ID card “drop-in” service is available only at the Parnassus location. 

Mission Bay *  

600 16th St., Genentech Hall 124 
Phone: (415) 476-2088 
Hours: Monday: 10:45 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Tuesday through Friday: 7:15 a.m. - 4 p.m. ,
Note: Mission Bay can accommodate only one customer at a time. 
*This office closes from noon - 1 p.m., Monday through Friday. 


What to bring to Your ID card appointment 

Bring at least one currently valid government photo identification and proof of credentials, if required.   

  • The name on your photo identification must match your Bravura (AKA Hitachi) or SIS profile. 

Valid forms of ID 

  • U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card  
  • Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address 
  • Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority 
  • ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency or entity, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address 
  • School ID card with a photograph 
  • Voter registration card 
  • U.S. military card or draft record 
  • Military dependent ID card 
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card 
  • Native American tribal document 
  • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551) 
  • Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa 
  • Employment authorization document that contains a photograph (Form I-766) 
  • In the case of a non-immigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status: 
    • A foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's non-immigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired, and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form. 
    • Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating non-immigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI 


If your UCSF ID card must display a credential, it must be on your profile prior to card issuance. The credential will be added to the end of your last name. 

  • Examples: 
    • John Doe, DDS 
    • Jane Doe, MD  
  • When your card is issued, badging staff will verify your credentials in the Bravura (AKA Hitachi) screen. 

Lost or stolen ID card? 

Report it now.  

Report lost or stolen UCSF ID cards immediately to keep them from being used by unauthorized persons.  

  • During normal business hours contact WeID (Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.) at (415) 476-2088 
  • During non-business hours and on the weekends call (415) 476-1414.
  • This number is monitored 24/7.
  • You may also send an email reporting the loss to [email protected].

How to replace a lost or stolen ID card 

  • Use the online appointment maker [link] or drop in to either the Parnassus or Mission Bay WeID locations during regular business hours. 
  • You may also call (415) 476-2088 and leave a clear message, including your name and the best phone number to reach you. 
  • Your call will be returned as soon as possible.   

How to get an ID card for a job change 

If you need a replacement card due to a recent promotion or transfer to a new or department confirm the change in the UCSF Directory, and schedule an appointment with WeID or drop in to either WeID location for a same-day appointment during regular business hours, and schedule an appointment with WeID or drop in to either WeID location for a same-day appointment during regular business hours. 

  • You will need to turn in the prior UCSF ID card to avoid the replacement fee. 
  • Remember to bring one valid government photo identification. 

What to do if you find an ID card 

Call (415) 476-1414 at any time (available 24/7) or bring the card to any Security Service location

How to return a UCSF ID card 

UCSF ID cards are the property of the University of California. UCSF policy requires departments collect UCSF ID cards from all persons who are discontinuing their association with the University.  

  • Returned ID cards are forwarded to any ID card service location or sent by interoffice mail to “WeID” at campus box 0238.