UCSF policy requires that people who work in critical positions undergo a criminal history check. We provide LiveScan fingerprinting for this purpose. Fingerprints are securely transferred to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the FBI to identify the existence of any criminal history records. Results are usually received and forwarded to the hiring manager or Human Resources within three to five business days, but can be delayed for reasons that are beyond the control of UCSF Police. Click for details about Critical Position Background Checks.
Fingerprinting service is also available to assist UCSF affiliated personnel with professional licenses.
How to Obtain Fingerprinting Services
- The first step is for your department representative to complete and sign the required Request for Sensitive Employee Fingerprinting Form (for UCSF campus employees) or a UCSF Medical Center Request for Fingerprint Form (for medical center employees). Alternatively, if the fingerprints are needed for professional licensing purposes, the candidate should complete the appropriate licensing cards (obtained from your school).
- Make an appointment. If you are unable to make an appointment using the online appointment service, you can call 415/476-2088, Option 2.
- Arrive on-time time with the following:
- Completed/signed request form or professional licensing Card
- Valid government photo ID
- The $264 fee for LiveScan (your department may pay the fee by entering account information onto the form). We accept Cash, Checks made payable to UC Regents, Visa/Master Card. Federal Cost Accounting Standards require that UCSF fingerprinting services be charged to non-federal fund sources. Fingerprinting can be charged to any fund source except one in the range of 21100 through 33999.
Make an Appointment
Appointments are required for fingerprinting services.
To make an appointment, please contact the We ID Team directly at 415/476-2088. If the call goes to voicemail, please leave a detailed message with your name and contact telephone number. A member of the We ID Team will contact you by the end of the same business day to schedule your ID card appointment.
License in California
Bring a completed Request for LiveScan Service Applicant Submission Form to your appointment. The form is provided by the licensing agency and must be completed with the appropriate California professional board code. The DOJ and FBI responses will be sent directly to the licensing agency.
License Outside of California
Bring the required documentation and fingerprint cards (if required) for each state in which you are requesting licensing. Once the fingerprints are taken, you must follow the submission directions from the requesting licensing agency. The UCSF Police Department cannot submit out-of-state licensing requests to the DOJ or the FBI.
- $264: LiveScan fingerprinting for UCSF employment or licensing in California. This fee includes a record check with the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the FBI. Federal Cost Accounting Standards require that UCSF fingerprinting services be charged to non-federal fund sources. Fingerprinting can be charged to any fund source except one in the range of 21100 through 33999. Ink cards are 38.00 per card.
- Recharge payments
- Check payable to “UC Regents”
Q: How do I get my fingerprints taken for employment at UCSF?
A: Have your hiring manager complete a Request for Sensitive Employee Fingerprinting Form (campus employee) or UCSF Medical Center Request for Fingerprint Form (medical center employee).
Q: How do I know if I need my fingerprints taken for employment?
A: Guidelines for pre-employment fingerprinting are well established and usually included in the job announcement. Check with your hiring manager if you have questions.
Q: What if I need to have my fingerprints taken for a professional license?
A: For California licensing, obtain a Request for LiveScan Service Applicant Submission Form. For out-of-state licensing, obtain the appropriate fingerprint cards from the licensing agency.
Q: How do I get my fingerprints taken?
A: Call 415/476-2088, Option 2 to schedule or cancel an appointment.
Q: How long does this take?
A: Fingerprinting will take 20 to 30 minutes.
Q: What do I need to bring to my appointment?
A: The appropriate completed fingerprint request form, plus:
- Approved government identification
- Appropriate payment
Contact Us Call 415/476-2088 or email [email protected].