Frequently Asked Questions

UCSF building sign

What to do if...

You are the victim of a crime.
Get instructions for reporting a crime and getting the help you need.

There is an earthquake.
Prepare yourself with these earthquake safety basics.

There is a gunman on campus.
Learn to protect yourself if there is an active shooter on campus.

There is a terrorist attack.
Get the latest terrorism preparedness information from counterterrorism and early warning groups.

You receive a suspicious package or bomb threat.
Learn how handle a suspicious package and get bomb threat information.

You need an ID card.
Get information about ID cards and make your appointment online.

You lost your ID card.
Report lost or stolen cards by calling 415/476-1414.

You need to be fingerprinted.
Learn about fingerprint criminal-history checks and LiveScan.

You lost or found a personal item.
Call 415/476-2454 to report lost property.

You need something notarized.
Call 415/476-2088 to make an appointment.

You are traveling overseas.
Learn about overseas traveling precautions and sign up with the UCSF travel safety management program.

ID Cards

Q. Why do I have to wear an ID card on campus?
A. University policy on Wearing of ID Cards requires all UCSF staff, students, faculty, and affiliates to use and display their UCSF ID badges to maintain the safety of UCSF premises. The We ID badge system helps us verify identification and limit access to authorized members of the UCSF community.

Q. How do I get an ID card?
A. The assigned department representative must first approve and enter information into the computer system. This is normally the person who handles Human Resources functions within the department.

After your information is entered into the computer system, you begin the process by making an appointment.

Medical Center: Medical Center personnel must contact Medical Center Human Resources or Medical Center Security for ID Cards.

Q. What do I bring to my ID card appointment?
A. Bring at least one valid government photo identification, proof of credentials if you require them on your ID card. Beginning on 7/01/21 UCSF funds the first ID card for UCSF employees and students. 

Q. Where can I get an ID card?
A. Stop by or make an appointment at one of the WeID ID card service locations.

Q. What if I need a replacement ID card?
A. If you need a replacement card, due to a recent promotion or a new department, UCSF may pay for that ID card. Make an appointment and go to a We ID service location with one valid government photo identification. An appointment is required.

Q. What if my ID card was lost or stolen?
A. Please report lost or stolen UCSF ID cards immediately to keep them from being used by unauthorized individuals. Call WeID during normal business hours (M-F, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.) at 415/476-2088, and afterhours or on weekends please call 415/476-1414. You may be responsible for the replacement cost of lost or stolen ID cards.

Q. What if I find an ID card?
A. Please call 415/476-1414 (24 hours a day) or drop the card off at any Security Service Location.


Q. How do I get my fingerprints taken for employment at UCSF?
A. Have your hiring manager complete a Request for Sensitive Employee Fingerprinting Form (campus employee). If fingerprints are needed for professional licensing, complete and bring the form. Then make an appointment. UCSF will cover the cost of a fingerprint for a “sensitive” position. For all other fingerprint services the applicant will be assessed a fee.

Q. How do I know if I need my fingerprints taken for employment?
A. Guidelines for pre-employment fingerprinting are well established and usually included in the job announcement. Check with your hiring manager if you have questions or you may consult the UCSF policy on Critical Position Background Checks.

Q. What if I need to have my fingerprints taken for a professional license?
A. For California licensing, obtain a Request for LiveScan Service Applicant Submission Form from that agency. The fees will vary and WeID will add a rolling fee. For out-of-state licensing, obtain the appropriate fingerprint cards from the licensing agency. The applicant is responsible for these fees.

Q. How do I get my fingerprints taken?
A. Make an appointment online, or call 415/476-2088 to schedule an appointment.

Q. How long does this take?
A. Fingerprinting will take approximately 30 minutes.

Q. What do I need to bring to my appointment?
A. The appropriate completed fingerprint request form, plus

Safety Escorts

Q. Where and when can I obtain an escort on University property?
A. Safety escorts are available to members of the campus community 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Escorts are provided for individuals on or adjacent to University property.

Q. How do I obtain an escort?
A. Call or stop by any security service desk. If you are at a location that does not have on-site security, you may request a safety escort by calling 415/476-1414 and a police officer will provided an escort.

Q. Will a safety escort wait until my ride comes?
A. No, the security officer cannot wait with you.

Q. Can I be escorted off University property?
A. No, the security escort is not available to escort you beyond University property.

Reporting a Crime

Q. Why should I report a crime?
A. There are many reasons to report a crime:

  • Finding and arresting a suspect in a crime.
  • Adding serial numbers to statewide databases to recover stolen property.
  • Tracking criminal activity in various areas to prevent future crimes.

Q. How do I report a crime?
A. In an emergency, dial 911 from any campus telephone, or 415/476-6911 from a non-campus line. For non-emergencies, call 415/476-1414 or 6-1414 from a campus phone. If the crime occurred on campus or on University controlled property, report it to the UCSF Police Department. We will handle all investigations and follow-up. If the crime occurred elsewhere and is completely unrelated to your university employment or property, it should be reported to the local police. Animal Extremist activity and UCSF computer device related crimes must be reported to UCSF Police and your local jurisdiction.

Q. What information will I need to report a crime?
A. The police need to obtain the most accurate information possible to conduct a thorough investigation. Please provide all the information requested, even if it seems irrelevant. All police agencies in California are required to complete an annual statistical analysis of crimes that occur in their jurisdictions. This includes information on the types of people who are victims of crimes. Please provide contact information in case we have follow-up questions, if we find your property or if we arrest a suspect in your case.

Police Reports

Q. What happens after I report a crime or incident?
A. Investigations vary from case to case. Once a crime or incident is reported to the UCSF Police Department, the following will occur:

  • The police officer conducting the preliminary investigation will re-contact you within 72 hours. This officer will provide you with a contact card.
  • Once the officer has concluded the preliminary investigation, the report will be reviewed.
  • A Detective Sergeant will then forward your report to a UCSF Detective for a follow-up investigation. The assigned detective will also contact you regarding the status of your report.

Q. How do I request a copy of my police report?
A. To request a police report:

  • Complete a UCSF Police Department Incident Report Copy Release Form.

  • Include your phone number, mailing and/or email address. The records manager can retrieve the case number if it is not known.

  • A $10.00 fee, payable to UC Regents, must be paid at the time the request is submitted. Cash, check, or money order is accepted. There is no fee for reports requested by a UCSF department.

Completed request forms can be emailed, hand-delivered, or mailed to:

UCSF Police Department
Attention: Records
654 Minnesota Street, Room 180
San Francisco, CA 94143-0238

Requests through interoffice mail:

UCSF Police Department
Attention: Records
Box 0238

Once payment is received, reports can be scanned and sent electronically as a PDF. Reports can also be sent by fax or U.S. Postal Service mail as requested.

For questions on requesting a police report, please contact Cloin Sjostedt at 415/476-2454 or [email protected]
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Q. How long does it take to get a copy of a police report?
A. Routine requests will be mailed within two working days. Police reports may not be available for immediate pickup. Reports may not be released until the investigation is complete.

Q. Is there a fee for a police report?
A. Police reports are $10.00 each. A check or money order for $10.00, payable to UC Regents, must be paid at the time the request is submitted. There is no fee for reports requested by a UCSF department.

Building Lockouts

Q. What can I do if I am locked out of my workplace after-hours or on the weekend?
A. Security Officers are available to open limited areas free of charge. In locations not staffed by security officers or for locations that cannot be opened by Security, police officers can unlock a facility for a fee of $34.50 per unlock. The requester must provide a department account (fund/dpa) and the fee will be recharged to the requester’s department. Contact the appropriate Security Service Location or request a police officer by calling 415/476-1414.


Q. Where can I find job listings for the UCSF Police Department?
A. Visit the Great Jobs webpage.

Q. How can I apply for a job?
A. Submit your résumé through the UCSF online application process.

The recruiter will contact qualified applicants to request completion of the The application may be sent via email, fax or mail.

For more information, email [email protected].

Q. How do I submit an application via email?
A. Fill out the application and save the form to your computer. In your return email, acknowledge you have read the Agreement of Applicant on the final page of the application and type “I agree to the application statement” in the body of your email. Send the completed application to [email protected].

Q. How long does it take to get hired by the UCSF Police Department?
A. Depending on the job you apply for, becoming a member of the UCSF Police Department can normally take from one to four months. The typical sworn and dispatch recruitment process includes a written exam, oral interview, background investigation, medical evaluation and psychological assessment, which can normally take about four months. Civilian positions require less time.

Crime Prevention

Q. How can I reduce my chances of becoming a crime victim?
A. The UCSF Police Department Crime Prevention Unit coordinates campuswide presentations and workshops on all aspects of personal safety, such as rape and assault prevention, prevention of workplace violence, and other related law enforcement topics. To schedule a presentation, call 415/502-9396.

Lost and Found

Q. How do I find out whether my lost property was turned in to the Police Department?
A. Leave a message on the Lost and Found hotline at 415/476-2454 or email: [email protected]

Q. What should I do if I find an item and want it returned to its rightful owner?
A. Turn in the item to any UCSF station or substation, or call 415/476-1414 for assistance.

Notary Services

Q. Where can I go to get something notarized?
A. Notary services are available at the Parnassus, Mission Bay and Mission Center Building locations by appointment only. Click here to make an appointment or call 415/476-2088.  Bring one valid government photo identification to your appointment.

Q. What does it cost to get something notarized?
A. The cost is $10 per signature and is payable by recharge, cash, personal check, Visa or MasterCard.

Traffic and Parking

Q. How do I handle a parking citation that was issued for a violation on a city street?
A. Contact the San Francisco Department of Parking and Transportation (DPT) at 415/701-3099, or visit the DPT webpage on parking tickets.

Q. How do I handle a parking citation that was issued for a violation on UC property?
A. Call 415/476-7191, or visit

Q. Whom do I call for questions about a parking citation received on campus?
A. Call 415/476-2566 for traffic or parking-related questions.

Contact Information

Q. Should I call the UCSF Police Department or San Francisco Police Department for police services?
A. The UCSF Police Department has primary law enforcement jurisdiction on all campuses and properties owned, operated, controlled or administered by the Regents of the University of California.

Q. How do I contact the UCSF Police Department?
A. For non-emergency assistance or for general inquiries:

  • Dial 6-1414 if on campus.
  • Dial 415/476-1414 if off campus.

Q. Whom do I call in an emergency?
A. In an emergency:

  • Dial 911 from any campus telephone to report all emergencies related to police, fire, chemical spills or medical assistance. The public safety dispatcher receives information on a computer screen, identifying the location where the call originated.
  • Dial 415/476-6911 from a cell phone. State your name and tell the dispatcher the location and nature of your call.  The dispatcher will transfer the call if necessary, to the appropriate emergency responder.